A kind of new normal
Global cases update:
- Cases have surpassed 527 million, while the death toll has breached 6.3 million; recoveries are at 498 million.
- The US has 85 million cases, accounting for 16% of global cases; the US death toll is 1.028 million.
- India has 43.13 million cases and 524,459 deaths; Brazil has 30.79 million cases and 665,680 deaths.
- Beijing has reported a record number of Covid cases during its current outbreak.
- This has revived concern that the capital may face a lockdown as health authorities look to eliminate community spread of the virus.
- The WHO noted that, although in many countries all restrictions have been lifted and life “looks normal” again, reported Covid cases are increasing in almost 70 countries in all regions.
- Only 57 countries have vaccinated 70% of their population; mostly, high-income countries.
- While progress is being made, with 60% of the world’s population vaccinated, almost one billion people in lower-income countries remain unvaccinated.
- This may be due to still insufficient political commitment to roll out vaccines in some countries, and with persistent gaps in operational and financial capacity.
- Globally, more than 12.2 billion vaccine doses have been administered across 184 countries at a rate of 63.6 million doses a day.
Africa cases update:
- Africa’s Covid-19 cases are at 12.102 million; fatalities are at 254,595.
- Morocco has 1.166 million reported cases, Nigeria 255,937, Ghana 161,351, Kenya 324,242.
- The WHO has noted that deaths are rising in Africa, the continent with the lowest vaccination coverage.
South Africa cases update:
- SA currently has the 30th highest caseload, at 3.929 million; 3,220 new cases were reported yesterday.
- Active cases are at 59,988; the Western Cape leads the way, with 14,813 active cases, followed by Kwazulu-Natal with 14,399.
- There were 2 Covid-19 deaths reported yesterday; deaths are at 100,933.
- 3.768 million people (or 95,9%) have recovered from the virus.
- 25.069 million tests have been conducted since 5 March 2020; 19,260 tests were conducted yesterday; the SA positivity rate is 16,70%.
- 35.744 million vaccines have been administered in SA to date; 2,804 vaccines were administered yesterday.
- 18.041 million people, or 45,33% of the SA adult population, have been fully vaccinated.
Please note: the Covid-19 Tracker report will be disseminated on a bi-weekly basis from hereon.